Curious about the costs of Ortho-K and whether or not it’s worth it to correct your myopia (commonly known as nearsightedness)? Get the full scoop here and learn how Ortho-K could help you go an entire day without glasses.
You may have heard about orthokeratology (Ortho-K) and felt excited about the possibilities for your eyesight: Imagine a system that can gently reshape the front surface of your eye (your cornea) as you sleep, so you don’t have to wear corrective glasses or contact lenses during the day.
Here at Carlsson Family Eye Center, we’ve helped many patients, both children and adults, correct their vision through Ortho-K (also known as corneal refractive therapy).
Simply put, Ortho-K lenses are kind of like an orthodontic retainer for your eyes. Wearing the specially designed gas permeable lenses at night can gently reshape your cornea in order to stop the progression of nearsightedness. The technology has been around for several decades, but has improved significantly in recent years, making it a viable option for many patients, especially those with mild to moderate refractive errors (such as nearsightedness or astigmatism).
“When one can sleep in lenses and wake up and see clearly all day without the need of glasses and contacts, that’s powerful!” says Dr. Chad Carlsson, listing the many benefits: “No surgery, completely reversible, and by doing Ortho-K, not only do you see clearly during the day, but you’re also protecting your eyes from further deterioration from myopia progression, which can lead to various ocular diseases later in life.”
Who is a good candidate for orthokeratology lenses?
Ortho-K is best for those with mild to moderate nearsightedness or astigmatism, and is good for all ages. Parents in particular have found great peace of mind opting for Ortho-K for their kids, who can go throughout the school day and perform in sports and other activities without having to mess with glasses or contacts. Ortho-K has been proven to be one of the most effective treatments for slowing down progressive myopia in children.
If you frequently play sports or are otherwise active, or if you work (or play) in dusty, dirty environments, then you may especially enjoy the freedom of being able to see without contact lenses or glasses.
The best way to know if Ortho-K would be right for you? Have a consultation at Carlsson Family Eye Center. We specialize in understanding the needs of each patient and developing vision correction strategies that work best for each individual.
So, how much does Ortho-K cost?
Because Ortho-K isn’t considered essential for correcting vision, it isn’t covered by insurance. Patients who are looking to be free of glasses or contacts instead pay out-of-pocket. Here are a few things you need to know about the cost as you consider Ortho-K:
- Fitting these “corneal molds” requires a great deal more expertise than fitting regular contact lenses. Your eye doctor will have received special training and will have specific diagnostic equipment and computer software that allows him or her to fit Ortho-K lenses.
- Ortho-K is considered an “elective” or “cosmetic” procedure by insurance companies, because there are other options (contact lenses and glasses) for vision correction.
- Ortho-K is half the cost of laser vision correction surgery, and doesn’t come with any of the potential complications of surgery, such as postoperative pain and hazy vision. Plus, Ortho-K allows you to treat both eyes at the same time, unlike surgery.
- The overall cost of Ortho-K nets out pretty close to the total cost of a comprehensive eye exam, yearly supply of contacts and new glasses, when looked at on an annual basis.
Here’s what to expect:
Following an initial consultation (which includes a comprehensive eye exam) at Carlsson Family Eye Center, you can enroll in our two-year program, which comes with the following:
- Level 1 fitting, starting at $2498 (the consultation fee of $275 will be rolled into your overall program cost)
- Two sets of corneal molds (one new set per year)
- A comprehensive eye exam between years one and two
- An unlimited number of follow-up appointments within that two-year span
Starting in the third year, you’ll receive our maintenance service at $798 per year:
- Receive a new set of corneal molds each year you’re in the program
- Unlimited follow-up appointments during your plan year
Ready to get started?
For many patients, the cost of Ortho-K is a small price to pay for seeing clearly all day without contacts or glasses, and considering how it can help protect against the onset of certain diseases of the eye (and their associated costs), such as glaucoma, macular degeneration and retinal tears or detachments.
Ready for your journey to seeing clearly throughout the day, without the help of glasses or contacts? Call us today to set up a consultation and to learn if Ortho-K is a good fit for you.